Vestry Norms and
As vestry members we agree to…
- Commit to serve for three years.
- Attend monthly Vestry Meetings – signing a
covenant that you will miss no more than two meetings during the year.
- Notify the Rector in advance when you are
going to miss a meeting by email:
email@example.com and the day of the meeting by text: 317.650.9728.
- Be informed and prepared for meetings.
Please read the documents before meeting.
- Honor the agenda, will start and end on time
– keeping meeting to 90 minutes.
- Topics outside the agenda will be documented
and tabled for a later meeting.
- Vestry members will lead by example: being
willing to be first to make their annual financial pledge commitment and
consistent attendance at worship.
When we make decisions, as vestry members we agree to…
- Pray. Seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit
in all our decisions.
- Use active listening: Respond by asking for
clarification or acknowledging your understanding of the others point of
view before you state your ideas. Use “I wonder…” questions.
- Use “I” messages not “You” messages.
- Communicate that you understand, even if you
- Participate in no side conversations. What
we have to say gets heard by everyone at the meeting.
- Hold no conversations outside of the Vestry
- Respectfully disagree. Dissent before
making a decision is healthy as long as it is respectful.
- Listen to everyone and let whoever is
speaking finish without interruption.
- Minority opinion should receive a full voice
as we work toward consensus.
- Commit and present a unified Vestry to the
parish, once a decision is made.
In general, as vestry members we agree to…
- Cultivate relationship free of gossip,
sabotage, manipulation or bulling behavior. We will manage conflicts in a
healthy way, avoid triangulation by addressing conflicts directly.
- Follow through on commitments made at the
- Hold other members accountable to their
- Attend as many parish activities &
gatherings as possible.
- Follow the electronic communication policy
on refraining from conflict and emotional communication on line.
- Maintain confidentiality around all matters
pertaining to individuals, personnel, or the congregation.